2014: a summary

2014 has definitely been mixed and can be summed up as follows: crap start, ok middle, good ending.

The first couple of months weren't too bad, although getting out was difficult, but I managed to meet Nick and Paul at the Roaches, went to Wrights Rocks in the Churnet and then Font in March.

March, April and May were spent mostly injured from spraining my wrist on the visit to Font, so no climbing. Life stuff involved organising the restoration of furniture from my Grandfather-in-law's house after he died, with some nice results. He'd be pleased.
Easter saw a visit to Torridon with the family, one of my favourite places on earth. managed some limited climbing as I was still recovering from the wrist injury.

June consisted mostly of lunchtime stamina sessions at Brownstones, my birthday, Great North Swim (2 miles in 1 hour 16 mins), general swimming in the docks,
July saw more swimming, this time in Salford Docks (1 mile in 33 mins 42), visits to Serbia, the Lancashire Bolt Debate, started to go running. Local quarry hits.

August: First Ascent of Anhedonia, 6B boulder problem at Stronstrey.
Start cleaning up at Wilton 4, clean most routes on Sanction walls. Brimham trip with the family.
Start training consistently.

In September I finally did Snakey B 6C+. Very pleased as it had been on the list for a long time.
More cleaning and digging at Wilton 4,  Craig Y Longridge, Germany visit.
Hell's Bells gets repeated by Dave and Robin, Go to Stony Edge with the newly pubished Lancashire Bouldering Guide. Running.

October: First 7A at Jumbles, visits to Cadshaw, Anglezarke - another 7A, Wiltons, Brownstones. etc.Another trip to Germany, boulder in Frankenjura. Cold.
November: Another trip to Fontainebleau, hampered by weather, but make a nice film about Mushrooms,.. Do Pigswill Sitter 7A

December: mostly trips to Wiltons, a flooded Brownstones, Do another 2 7As, Snakey B Original and Purpe Feel.

What a year. Climbing wise, I feel fitter than I ever have, but all that has done is open up a door into the possible, I definitely think and believe I can climb a lot harder than I do if I just have the application and dedication.
The target for 2014 was 7A. This was acheived in October, and since then I've done a further 5, so I feel justified in saying that I am starting to get established at this level. I'm so pleased to finally do something that has been on my list for some time.

So what of 2015?

Keep staying off the booze, improve my diet, run more. 60Kg

The usual, like getting on the board with more consistency, continuing the fingerboarding, press up / pull up sessions, ab ripper x, running but try and have set weekly targets, i.e. 2 x pull up sessions, 2 x cardio etc. so that I have the flexibility to build them in to my normal routine.

I'd also like to up my game on the swimming - 5k windemere, the 1 mile in under 30 minutes, and something else. Also a duathlon somewhere.

The big one: 7B.
Complete the route wishlist.
Hell's Bells
Boulder out some more highball short trad routes >E3
Finish off a decent pro looking climbing film

Let's see what can be done.
Psyched!

Comments