Preston calling

I ended up going to Preston anyway last week in spite of my foot hurting quite a bit. In mitigation, I strapped it up all day and wore big boots in the office. Apart from looking ridiculous, they did incredibly well in taking the pressure off the toe - ironically the way rockshoes have a tendency to keep the feet compacted, it actually helped wearing them as well. The idea was to see how it went and stop if it started hurting. As I was with JB, and I fancied doing a bit of roping I warmed up on a couple of easy routes. It felt ok actually, so I jumped on a 6a+, but I wasn't warmed up properly. I cruised it, but felt buggered for a bit afterwards, and my foot started to ache. I always seem to run before I can walk... I need to learn to step off the gas sometimes! So, by the end of the night I'd climbed up to 6b+, which I felt pretty good about in the face of a knackered foot. Towards the end I had a boulder, and climbed V4, and also got to the last move of the red V5 in the cave - the last move is prety reachy. If I was fresher, I think I would have had more success. Only a couple of board session between evenings on the lathe, but I'm definitely feeling stronger and seem to be dropping a bit of weight too, which can't be a bad thing for power/weight ratio. I'm enjoying the training too, when I get the psyche up. Even the coldness of the garage feels more inviting than it did 4 weeks ago...

Comments